Monday

I Finally Did It!

Yes, I did it.

I finally took that first walk of the many I had promised to take once the holidays were over, the Christmas candy all eaten, and the weather at least 40 degrees outside.

When I looked at the calendar this morning and realized that we are already 6 days into January of the new year, I decided it was time to take the plunge.  At 36 degrees, it was still a bit cold for my tastes (even though the other 3/4 of the United States is stuck in a deep freeze of way below freezing), but I thought I would overcome that obstacle by walking in a store somewhere.

Where?, was the question.  I didn't need groceries; besides everyone knows that once I get inside a grocery store, need goes out the window and I end up going back home with a whole cart full of "unneeded" stuff.  Nope, I would avoid the grocery stores.  Bi Mart and Big Lots were nixed for the same reason, so I finally settled on the only "big" store left between our house and all the way down town---the Goodwill.

Not a good choice.  For some reason, the local Goodwill was packed.  I started up and down the rows, avoiding aisles that had more than 4 or 5 people with carts, but that left me with finishing a complete trip through the store in about 5 minutes.  I started over again, slowing down considerably because of all  the people I encountered.  Maybe the Goodwill was having a special sale.  I ended up buying a jigsaw puzzle, but didn't even get a senior discount so I never did find out what had drawn all the people in on this particular day.

The point is, I did walk, and actually getting out and doing it for the first time after a long period of no walking, for me at least,  is half the battle.  Next time, I trust it will be easier, and the time after that, almost fun.

Who am I kidding?  It isn't going to seem like fun for a long time--if ever--but there will be a reward of sorts; better health and the satisfaction of accomplishing something that really needs to be done.

How about you?  Are you into your "after the holidays" resolution yet? 

No comments: