Thursday

From Squinting, to Reading Glasses, to Large Print Reading Material

It wasn't too long ago that I could read the daily newspaper without squinting.

Then, reluctant to admit I might need glasses, for a while I squinted, but finally gave up and got some reading glasses---just for use in reading, of course.

I can't remember how long it was after that that I would find myself vacuuming or ironing with my reading glasses still perched firmly on the bridge of my nose. Alas, I felt much better with them on than off and began to wear them all the time during my waking hours.

Then, not long ago, even the glasses didn't seem to help when it came to looking up words in my ancient dictionary and thesaurus. Hmm. I hadn't realized what small print they used back in my college days. Time for another adjustment.

I ordered a new large-print dictionary some time ago, but put off buying another Thesaurus. After all, it wasn't something I consulted every day. A fellow writer friend of mine was bragging about her new large-print Thesaurus at a recent meeting and it hit me---that old "Keep Up With the Joneses Syndrome." I had to have a new large-print Thesaurus of my own.

If you can relate to the problem of seemingly shrinking print size in everything you read these days, maybe it's time for you to check and see what is available in larger-print these days.

The one I finally picked was the revised edition of The Large Print Roget's II Thesaurus from Amazon, but you might find a different one appeals to you more. Now, hopefully, I can count on at least a few more years of no squinting. After that, I'll probably be in the market for super large print editions.


No comments: